gcc 3.2

DJ Lucas dj_me at swbell.net
Fri Nov 15 14:35:53 PST 2002

Carlo Borelli wrote:
> Beside you, it's better build gcc 3.2 with gcc 2.9x or with gcc 3.2?
> It seems an amletic question. To be or not to be?

Idealy it should not matter.  IIRC (can I make that bigger?) The 'make
bootstrap' command builds gcc once with the old compiler, then uses the
new compiler that was just built to build another copy of itself, and
that to build a third copy.  Then the build script compares the 2nd and
3rd copies to make sure that they are identical.

Please, somebody correct me if this is not *exactly* correct.

In the end gcc-3.2 is actually used to build 3.2 if you use the build
instructions from the book.

DJ

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org