XFree 4.2.1 & DRI - strange video behaviour

dildir at wanadoo.fr dildir at wanadoo.fr
Fri Nov 15 01:13:15 PST 2002

Tim Holterhus (lfs at holterhus.com) wrote:
> I recompiled all components on my system including XFree 4.2.1 and the
> DRI drivers for my ATI Rage 128 card. All is pretty much up to date to
> the current (b)lfs cvs'.
>
> When I now run any app that tries to display "moving pictures" (-> watch
> a movie or tv), the system seems to freeze hard.
>
> I tried MPlayer 0.9pre10, xine 0.9 or 1.0alpha, kaboodle & aviplay &
> QtVision (kde 3.0.99 & qt 3.1.0-rc3) - as soon as something "starts
> moving", the display freezes and numlock doesn't react anymore. There
> still seems to be disk activity going on (eDonkey downloads?), so I
> assume it's not entirely dead.
>
> Also, when shutting down from kde, X unloads and I should see the
> shutdown scripts doing their work. But I only see a blurry and garbled
> graphics screen (showing parts of what I saw before in graphics mode)
> until the machine shuts down or reboots.
>
> Is there a problem w/ my DRI setup? That's the only major difference to
> the X setup I had before I started this major recompile session a few
> days (weeks?) ago. DRI was not properly setup and thus did not work.
> Should I disable the DRI driver?
>
> Anyone seens this before??
>
> 	-Tim
>
> --
> Windows NT encountered the following error: The operation completed
> successfully.
>
> --

Hi Tim,

I don't know about all the KDE stuff but MPlayer does say something
about Rage 128 cards.  In the documentation you will find a file called
video.html.  in section 2.3.1.2.4 (sorry, not my numbering system) they
talk about them. Does your card support XVideo? try a quick "xvinfo".
Does X load Xvideo?  Check in /var/log/XFree86.0.log.  It should by
default.

HTH

Dirk
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org