HDD advice?

Duncan Webb duncan at dwebb.ch
Thu Nov 14 21:55:42 PST 2002

"Ian Molton" <spyro at f2s.com> writes:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:03:27 +0000 (UTC)
> duncan at dwebb.ch ("Duncan Webb") wrote:
>
> > IDE drive performance depends to a large extent on how it is connected
> > to your IDE controller.
> >
> > If you want the best performance from an IDE drive, which is running
> > as second hard disk then connect it to the secondary/master with
> > nothing connected to your secondary slave.
>
> That's questionable. it might have held true on your machine, but it
> makes no sense and I haven't seen it on any hardware I own.
>
> besides, bandwidth to / from the drives cache is 46MB/sec, and its the
> primary master, all on its lonesome... so the bus aint the problem
>
> > Your CD-ROM should then be connected to your primary/slave
>
> No. this isn't right unless your controller is B0rk3n.

The advice comes from Matrox, and it relates to capturing video and audio
data from DV devices over FireWire, they spent quite a long time explain why
it should be done this way. Up to you if want to try it ;-).

IMHO, it is extremely unlikely that you would have received a faulty disk,
so it is possible that either your controller or cable is B0rk3n. Do you
have another PC to try the disk drive in, because if you do then you could
test the drive on that machine, it you don't then you could boot the machine
under DOS and run a benchmark from there; this would elimininate your Linux
configuration as possible problem.

Running a benchmark on your system drive doesn't seem such a good idea
because some of the background processes may be writing you log files, which
would mess up your results.

BBFN
Duncan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org