XFree 4.2.1 & DRI - strange video behaviour

Tim Holterhus lfs at holterhus.com
Thu Nov 14 15:16:03 PST 2002

I recompiled all components on my system including XFree 4.2.1 and the
DRI drivers for my ATI Rage 128 card. All is pretty much up to date to
the current (b)lfs cvs'.

When I now run any app that tries to display "moving pictures" (-> watch
a movie or tv), the system seems to freeze hard.

I tried MPlayer 0.9pre10, xine 0.9 or 1.0alpha, kaboodle & aviplay &
QtVision (kde 3.0.99 & qt 3.1.0-rc3) - as soon as something "starts
moving", the display freezes and numlock doesn't react anymore. There
still seems to be disk activity going on (eDonkey downloads?), so I
assume it's not entirely dead.

Also, when shutting down from kde, X unloads and I should see the
shutdown scripts doing their work. But I only see a blurry and garbled
graphics screen (showing parts of what I saw before in graphics mode)
until the machine shuts down or reboots.

Is there a problem w/ my DRI setup? That's the only major difference to
the X setup I had before I started this major recompile session a few
days (weeks?) ago. DRI was not properly setup and thus did not work.
Should I disable the DRI driver?

Anyone seens this before??

	-Tim

--
Windows NT encountered the following error: The operation completed
successfully.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org