BLFS from host?

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Thu Nov 14 07:21:01 PST 2002

""chris.danx"" <chris.danx at ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:3DD1798A.50006 at ntlworld.com...
> On another issue I've noticed that checking a disk takes a lot longer on
> LFS than on SuSE even though the drives sizes are similar.  Why is this?
>   Do I need to tweak the lfs setup?  SuSE is running on an ext3
> partition while lfs is on an ext2 partition.  Is that the difference?
> On my SuSE drive, the disk is 0.3% noncontiguous.  On LFS it is 9.5%.
> Can you defrag linux partitions?

You might want to install hdparm if you haven't already (I'm assuming you've
got an IDE drive that supports DMA).  This should noticably increase I/O
throughput.
Try http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/hardware/ for a copy of it.

http://wlug.westbo.se/faq/Linux-FAQ-4.html mentions that there is a
defragger available for ext2, although it's not believed to be required!

Hope this helps

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org