probe order of compiled-in NIC drivers

Carsten Gehrke carsten at rollinghorse.com
Thu Nov 14 00:48:41 PST 2002

At 00:15 14-11-02, you wrote:

> > > Add to your /etc/modules.conf:
> > > alias eth0 (tlan driver module name)
> > > alias eth1 (tulip driver module name)
> >
> > Can you see your mistake? *g*
>
>Oh there was no mistake.  If he can't get the ether= line to work, then
>he's recieving a subtle hint from the universe that he should be using
>modules.

I can't take hints, especially not from the universe.  Changing the order
of the objects (linking tlan.o before tulip.o) in the Makefile fixed the
problem.

>Of course, this is from making the assumption that he is actually
>managing to pass the ether= settings to the kernel in the proper manner,
>which more likely to be the error on my part.

Other parameters I am passing seem to be recognized by other parts of the
kernel, and even the two NIC drivers (if they are the ones responding to
reserve= settings).

The long-term solution would be to implement the recognition of ether=
settings by these drivers.  I'm digging through the source code to find
that problem...

--
Carsten Gehrke     LFS No.: 190    using Linux since kernel 0.98
carsten at gehrke.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org