probe order of compiled-in NIC drivers

Carsten Gehrke carsten at rollinghorse.com
Wed Nov 13 11:49:23 PST 2002

At 10:35 13-11-02, you wrote:
> [...]

I have no real need for that facility.  The less stuff is in the kernel,
the better.  The kernel I made has _no_ support for loadable modules at all.

>2.  Why does it matter what nic card is eth0 or eth1?

That's the way it's been, and I have other kernels I've built that support
them that way.  This is the first one without module support.

I'm mainly trying to understand what goes on in the kernel.  For instance,
why don't the boot parameters (ether=...) work for these cards?  It seems
they work in other circumstances, at least according to the postings on
various newsgroups.  Is there a difference between ISA and PCI cards that
is not documented in the HOW-TOs (I've gleaned that from the same
newsgroups)?  Is there a way to change the names of the cards after the
system has booted (also alluded to in some of the postings)?  For instance,
I found mention of using ioctl to change the name, but a look at Stevens
and at the /usr/include/bits/ioctls.h show a lack of SIOCSIFNAME, so it
doesn't seem possible with that function.

Right now I am looking at two possible solutions:

1) Possibly the Makefile controls the order of module initialization.

2) Find out how the boot parameters are processed, and write a patch for
the drivers to recognize these and change the name.

--
Carsten Gehrke     LFS No.: 190    using Linux since kernel 0.98
carsten at gehrke.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org