BLFS from host?

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Wed Nov 13 04:09:25 PST 2002

Was it chris.danx who wrote on Tuesday 12 November 2002 21:16:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if you can do something similar to what was done with lfs
> and build some of the packages using chroot.  Can it be done?  I'd
> rather be doing something when it's building the packages and don't want
> to be sitting around.
>
> Anything to be aware of?  Is the command different?

I've tried it. Anything which is version dependent messes you up (e.g.
gtk-1.x or gtk-2.x). Programs that want a newer library than your host will
also screw you up. If I try it, Perl complains that LOCALE isn't set and
barfs. If your systems are so identical that you could run cp -a to finish
the second one, all will work - but so would cp -a :-P
--
	Regards,

	Declan Moriarty

Applied Researches - Ireland's Foremost Electronic Hardware Genius

	A Slightly Serious(TM) Company

Without the optimist, the pessimist wouldn't know how happy he isn't

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org