probe order of compiled-in NIC drivers

Carsten P. Gehrke Carsten at rollinghorse.com
Tue Nov 12 23:01:42 PST 2002

Does anyone know how to change the order of the NIC probes?  I have
compiled in the TLAN and tulip drivers.  The TLAN interface needs to be
eth0, the tulip card must be eth1, but since the tulip card is probed
first, the names are reversed.  I have tried many variations of boot
parameters (ether=17,0x8400,eth0 ether=18,0x6400,eth1 and permutations with
reserve= and 0 (autoprobe) for IRQ or address), but the drivers appear to
ignore them.  The cards are on PCI busses; the TLAN on the motherboard bus
and the tulip on the I/O cage bus.  Since the TLAN interface is on the MB,
I can't switch card positions.  I have read in one or two locations that
the PCI cards ignore the boot parameters, but then there are dozens of
documents which state that these ether= statements cure all naming evils.

I have looked through the drivers/net/Space.c file in the kernel source
tree, but can't find anything there that relates to these two interfaces.

If I compile the tulip driver as a module, I can control it the
/etc/modules.conf, and all works well.  However, I don't want loadable
modules.  The kernel version I am using is 2.4.19.  The on-board NIC is
TLAN-based, and uses IRQ 17 and I/O 0x8400.  The Linksys NIC is handled by
the tulip driver, and uses IRQ 18 and I/O 0x6400.  I would prefer not to
change any of these parameters.

TIA,
Carsten

--
Carsten Gehrke     LFS No.: 190    using Linux since kernel 0.98
carsten at gehrke.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org