BLFS from host?

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Tue Nov 12 20:51:29 PST 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 09:58:34PM +0000, chris.danx wrote:
> partition while lfs is on an ext2 partition.  Is that the difference?
> On my SuSE drive, the disk is 0.3% noncontiguous.  On LFS it is 9.5%.
> Can you defrag linux partitions?

I don't know if concern should be had over that 9.5%, but if that is a
fresh build of LFS, something seems not right. Now, if you were building
all those libs and rebuilding things to support those new libs at the
same time as continuing to build the base LFS, then I could see it as HD
access would be pretty wild and not very sequential. Freshmeat (or
google) for defrag. It's out there, it's old, it works, it doesn't do
much good. The ext2 fs is much better that any of the FAT's and NTFS for
writing sequentially on the HD.

--
Archaic

--
Government: If you refuse to pay unjust taxes, your property will be
confiscated. If you attempt to defend your property, you will be

- Edward Abbey

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org