gcc optimization [was: Problems with the gimp1.2.3 n gtk+]

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Nov 12 21:07:35 PST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 02:51:56 +0100
Tim Holterhus <lfs at holterhus.com> wrote:

> I have a PIII 800 (overclocked to 1 Ghz) and the compile times for
> various apps - compared to info I got from either here or other
> sources - seems to be rather long. Compiling kde from the current cvs
> on a PIII 600 - I read - only takes about 7-8 hours (including
> qt-copy), while on my system it takes about 12-16 hours. I wonder
> wether there is still something fishy w/ my CFLAGS ...
>
> 	-Tim
>
> --
> As I said before, I never repeat myself.

Well, compiling any program with -O3 will take longer then -O2, which
will take longer then -O1 which will take longer then -O.  The compiler
is checking the code more to find "better" optimizations.  The longer
compile times really become apparent with c++.  Compile a c++ app like
moz with -O and then with -O3 and see the time difference.  I don't
recall kd3 taking 12-16 hours!  The longest thing I ever compiled was
OOo which was about 12 hours.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst