Problems with the gimp1.2.3 n gtk+

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Nov 12 16:28:11 PST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 00:20:29 +0100
Tim Holterhus <lfs at holterhus.com> wrote:

> just out of curiosity, what were the CFLAGS you used when compiling
> the GIMP 1.3? I'm only seeing greyish squares when opening any jpg
> file and I read that it's related to the -O3 flag when using gcc 3.xx
> (here 3.2).
>
> Regards,
>
> 	-Tim

I compile most software with:
-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=pentium3 -w

So far this has proven very stable.  I have compiled all software past
the base LFS 4.0 with the flags above except for X.  The system
response time seems nice and snappy (well for a P III 800).  Maybe you
could redo glib/gtk+-2.x with similar cflags and then redo gimp?
In my experience -O2 produces the best all around code.  -O3 does some
"optimizations" that might not fit well for every application and also
causes compilation time to increase.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst