GDM Hang ?

Andy Campbell usenet at starsend.force9.co.uk
Tue Nov 12 02:34:24 PST 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:34:19 +0000, DJ Lucas wrote:

> How about CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE?   Does that work?  Try it both durring the
> hang and also (after saving EVERYTHING) before you log out if it dosen't
> work durrring the hang.  That will give you an idea of where to start.  It
> should attempt to kill x and, in turn, restart GDM in both cases.

ctrl+alt_backspace works fine with in the Gnome sessoion and
restarts X

However from the hung X display after log out nothing happens

>> If I login via another box X is using 99% of the CPU.
>>

> If the above works during the hang, then look in the xf86 log file for a
> problem just before the line that says something about 'explicit kill' for
> some clues.  At best GUESS it sounds like a problem with your gdm config.
> I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at the moment.

I've just set "AlwaysRestartServer=true" in gdm.conf, default is false.

This sort of solves the problem, as it now restarts X when I log out and
brings up the log in prompt.

However it is still a pain as my Matrox drivers take a couple of mins to
scan my hardware before X will start ( Seems to a know "feature" of the
Matrox driver )

Should I be able to get back the GDM log in screen without restarting X ?

Thanks
Andy
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org