I am goint to be crazy

ulf.gruene at uniserv.de ulf.gruene at uniserv.de
Mon Nov 11 20:51:32 PST 2002

> Enter username and password for CUPS at localhost:631 and this in a
> dialog-box with two edit windows....
> I've put in there 255 user names an their passwords but for no one it
> agrees....
> It doen't like root, user, lp, ....
>
> Any ideas ?

>From the CUPS adminstrators manual (Chapter E - Troubleshooting common
problems)

	CUPS Doesn't Recognize My Username or Password!

	CUPS will ask you for a UNIX username and password when you
      perform printer administration tasks remotely or via a web browser.
      The default configuration requires that you use the root username
      and the corresponding password to authenticate the request.

	CUPS does not allow you to authenticate an administration request
      with an account that has no password for security reasons. If you
      do not have a password on your root account then you won't be able
      to add printers remotely or via the web interface!

Hope this helps

Ulf
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org