GDM Hang ?

DJ Lucas dj_me at swbell.net
Mon Nov 11 08:34:19 PST 2002

"Andy Campbell" wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just set up GDM to give me a graphical
> log in.  It all works fine until I log out
> of Gnome session.  The X environemnt hangs,
> I'm unable to ATL+Fn to another terminal.

How about CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE?   Does that work?  Try it both durring the
hang and also (after saving EVERYTHING) before you log out if it dosen't
work durrring the hang.  That will give you an idea of where to start.  It
should attempt to kill x and, in turn, restart GDM in both cases.

> If I login via another box X is using 99% of
> the CPU.

If the above works during the hang, then look in the xf86 log file for a
problem just before the line that says something about 'explicit kill' for
some clues.  At best GUESS it sounds like a problem with your gdm config.
I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at the moment.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org