Advice about CD-RW gadgets

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Nov 11 05:39:44 PST 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:27:50 +0100
"Ripalda-Marin, Miguel-Angel" <maripalda at elasa.siemens.es> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to purchase a CD-RW device, to attach it to my LFS-3.0 box...
> I'd like it to be external so I could change it from one PC to
> another... so parallel or USB.... could anyone advise me some
> commercial models to compare?
>
> Thanks in advance and best regards,
>
> Miguel Ángel Ripalda Marín

I have an external USB HP CD-Writer 82xx and it works great.  All of the
82xx line should work.  To get it to work just configure your kernel
like so:

under USB support  --->
<M>   USB Mass Storage support
[*]     HP CD-Writer 82xx support

Then when you connect your cd writer just modprobe usb-storage and you
can mount the cd or for burning you should be able to do cdrecord
-scanbus and see it attached.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst