X consumes nearly 100% cpu

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Nov 11 05:33:14 PST 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:42:46 +0100
Matthias Benkmann <matthias at winterdrache.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:59:20 +0100 "Sven.Sanwald"
> <Sven.Sanwald at web.de> wrote:
>

> > I'm using the nv driver.
>
> Try without it (and without loading the corresponding kernel module).
> If that makes the problem go away, contact NVidia.

The nv driver is the non-accelerated nvidia driver that comes with X and
not the accelerated binary only version that comes form nvidia.

> > Why consumes X so much cpu?
>
> I don't know but I can assure you that it's not normal. X uses less
> than 1% on my system.

True, X should _not_ be sucking up 100% cpu.  What X hint did you
follow?  There are a few hints availiable, I recommend the
xfree+freetype hint.  Maybe your build didn't work right.  You could
try a rebuild and do_not_ optimize, let X choose optimizatition flags.
You could try installing the binary nvidia drivers and see how X
responds?  I used the non-accelerated nv drivers a few times and X
performance should be fine except when you try to do any type of 3D
stuff or sometimes when using mozilla and a page with alot of animated
gifs, etc.  I use the binary nvidia drivers and they are really fast and
stable on my end.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst