renice X

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Nov 10 19:29:32 PST 2002

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 20:22:57 -0600
Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:

> James Drabb wrote:
>
> >Hey group,
> >
> > Is there a way to have X start with a higer priority?  I noticed if
> > I am doing a bunch of compiles under X that the mouse movement can
> > get jerky sometimes.
> >
> I'm not sure that X is your problem.  It may be your window manager or
> some other intermediate program.  Instead, why don't you set your
> compiles to run at a lower priority,
> i.e.
>
> nice +2 { configure && make && make install; }
>
>   -- Bruce

Hmmm, possibly.  I have noticed some buggy things with metacity and
gtk+-2.0.8.  For one thing, metacity 2.4.2 would show dialogs in a modal
fashion and any window underneath it would not come to the forground.
Now I switched back to 2.4.1 and the latest "stable" version of
gtk+-2.0.8.  I have noticed that once in a while my desktops will just
switch from one virtual desktop to another one and some other wierd
things.  Maybe I will downgrade gtk+-2.x.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL