GCC Segmentation Fault ?

Simon Roby shamblrd at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 10 14:57:18 PST 2002

> I suspect also that some of memory is not being reclaimed.  (Is this
> what they call memory leak?). Repeating make resulted with same
> segmentation at same place in one case. Yet rebooting caused make to
> complete? Why?

I'm not too sure here, but I think you may be mistaking unreclaimed memory
with caching. Basically, caching happens a program ends and the kernel keeps
its unused libraries in memory in order to speed up the execution next time
another program needs it. Cached space gets automatically cleared should the
system require more memory than available, so it's all right.

     - Simon
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org