Where next?

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Nov 10 07:58:29 PST 2002

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002 20:26:20 -0800 (PST)
Richard Pinnell <pinr at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> Ok I've been using Linux for a few years now tried all
> the distros... and now LFS it's taken me over a month
> to get everything installed, mozilla kde 3.1 (beta)
> java etc and I'm pretty chuffed.  Yea it's the best
> one yet!  but How do I upgrade? the truth is I've
> compiled so much stuff I can't remember what I've
> done. I certainly don't want to compile it all again.
> So what do I do when LFS 5 comes out.  Or how can
> upgrade easily?
> Thanks to everyone on this list for the help
> Richard

Well, you should look into ways to backup and track what you
install.  I just make a gzipped tarball and burn that to cd
for backups.  For tracking installation of packages I use
make_uninstall, just search freshmeat for make_uninstall.  This cool
little app uses installwatch to track what is installed and creates
a nice log file for you.  It has a dialog based interface and can
create rpm, deb and tgz packages based on what you install.  Come
time to upgrade and it will remove differences beteween the old
and new version of packages or you can unistall the old first and
then install the newer package.  One other thing to note is you don't
_need_ to upgrade to the latest and greatest version of everything out
there.  Otherwise you will be always maintaining your PC over using it.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL