GCC Segmentation Fault ?

Michal Zachar mgzachar at stonline.sk
Sun Nov 10 08:24:13 PST 2002

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 12:50:36PM +0100, Arnaud Boissinot wrote:
> While compiling KDE 3.0.2, I get the following error on every package,
> i have to do make again and it happpens again later than the first time,
>                 make again and it happpens again later than the second time
>
> messagewin.cpp:261: internal error: Segmentation fault
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.
> make[3]: *** [messagewin.o] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/kde_3.0.2/kdepim-3.0.2/kalarm'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/kde_3.0.2/kdepim-3.0.2/kalarm'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/kde_3.0.2/kdepim-3.0.2'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Can anybody help me ? What is the problem ?
>

> --

Problem seems not to be specific to same program. My previous
instalation of LFS ver 3.3 went without problems. However book version 4
compilation's caused same problems for me.

It seems that gcc 3.2 as oposed to 2.95.3 is alot more demanding on
memory. I have i486 with 16Mb and 42Mb swap. Version gcc 3.2 compiling
single file.c containing nothing more than int x=640, int y=350 and
array of bytes representing picture of file size 1.3Mb ended up same
way. (Used 63Mb of swap after enlarging it for this file) acording to
top.

Segmentation fault. Watching memory consumption with nothing else
running ie. only one terminal loged in whole of memory and swap was
consumed, resulting in segmentation fault. Increasing swap partion to
100Mb cured the problem.

I suspect also that some of memory is not being reclaimed.  (Is this
what they call memory leak?). Repeating make resulted with same
segmentation at same place in one case. Yet rebooting caused make to
complete? Why?

Mostly running same make comand repeatedly get's the job done.

My 0.02c worth.

Michael

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org