sane + alsa

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Nov 9 11:17:34 PST 2002

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 05:20:20PM +0000, Robert Bracewell wrote:

> I have a parallel port scanner which after installing
> Sane all works but as a result my sound no longer
> works.
>
> In order to get parallel scanner support to work I had
> to patch the kernal as instructed by the Sane FAQ but
> after re-building the kernel alsa can no longer find
> any sound devices.
>
> Has anyone any pointers?
> If I rollback to prior the Sane patch then all is well
> and sound works.
>
> Meanwhile I will trawl the Sane archives and maybe
> even install the kernel driver for my sound card and
> see if I have the same problem.
>
> --
> RoB

This has nothing to do with sane.  When you recompile a kernel you
need to recompile the alsa-driver package as well.  Note that any
other alsa package does not need to be recompiled.  When you do
make modules_install, it deletes your previous modules, so the alsa
modules were lost.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst