KDE & xhost

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sat Nov 9 02:37:06 PST 2002

Paul Sprakes wrote:

> Hmm, I didn't have this file in my home dir so I created it and made
> sure it was executable. It didn't work :( I exported a test variable
> in .xinitrc but doesn't appear after I have logged in so I assume it's
> not being called.
>
> Do you know where this file is called from, so I can check there. I've
> looked through every X setup file I can find (and there's lots of 'em)
> but cannot find a refernce to it.

.xinitrc is the config file used to start window managers and stuff if
you use the startx command to start Xf86. If you're using xdm or some
other login manager, I think it normally uses .xsession instead (not
sure, since I changed the scripts to run .xinitrc for both).

If you want to know what script to use, look in either
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx (look for 'userclientrc'), or
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession (look for 'startup') - whichever is appropriate to
how you're starting X.

Simon.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org