Programming in Linux

Reboant reboant at screaminet.com
Fri Nov 8 20:42:57 PST 2002

destinyXi wrote:

> --- Reboant <reboant at screaminet.com> wrote:
>

>>I've never learned to program but really want to learn C and/or C++.I've
>>looked all over the web for the documentation but all I can find is
>>win32 crap.
>>

>  starting with C/C++ is a difficult undertaking;  perhaps you could look at a
>lesser difficult programming language to start with, i vaguely remember BASIC
>or Turing (both available free somewhere on the web)
>  failing those two, you want to learn C/C++, you may want to try a scripting
>lanugage called PHP (www.php.net) to get the hang of it, before moving to
>C/C++.
>

>> Does anyone know of introductory level tutorials or docs that where
>>written just for linux?Not only do I want to build specific apps to my
>>needs but also help with those that already out there but in desperate
>>need of help.
>>

>  Well... As an introductory programmer you may have problems keeping up with
>the high speed and complexities of most of the open source stuff out there,
>i've personally been programming for almost 15 years and some of the opensource
>utilities out there i find mind boggling (look at the source code for openssl
>sometime)
>  What i suggest is that you look for stuff on linux programming on
>www.tldp.org.
>

>> The truth is,my hate for M$ is so strong that I think I can make a
>>difference (and will one way or another)and I refuse to learn anything
>>that company has put out.I don't have a lot of money so going out and
>>buying a book is almost impossible.If anyone can help then *Please* do.
>>

>  If you require personalised assistance, i taught Grade 12 computer
>programming in C/C++ in my past and would be willing to offer any assistance i
>can over email/chat
>
>best of luck to you either way
>-destinyXi
>destinyxi at yahoo.ca

>Post your free ad now! http://personals.yahoo.ca

Yes Jim Drabb I live in south Texas(but its still considered the U.S.  :)Let me know how much you want for them.If you don't mind I can send you a private mail for any details such as icq # and mailing address.Thankyou

destinyXi I've always been the type to jump in the deep end and get in way over my head.The bigger the mental challenge the happier I am.
I thankyou for you advice and will look at www.php.net asap.
Been to dltp and didn't really find that went into enough detail to get started.Btw,I'll take all the help I can get. :)
Like above,I can send you a private email to get my icq # if willing to lend a few ponters.

Walter Horsten thanks a lot for the links and the advice.

MSB isn't it sad that some folks (me) have something right in front of them the whole time and never thought to look (the GNU libc manual). big grin
 I've noticed the problem with reading things on a monitor also.Perhaps its the flickering (consiously we may not be able to see it but subconsiously we can).Wasn't it in Etheopia (hope i spelled that right)where we (the U.S.) used a light gun to stun people instead of shooting them with bullets).Could also be that most computer chairs aren't that confortable?No telling.Sorry for getting off the subject.  :)

Thanks guys for all the advice and if anyone else has any then feel free to reply.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org