Programming in Linux

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Fri Nov 8 12:11:04 PST 2002

On Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:16:14 -0700 Reboant <reboant at screaminet.com> wrote:

> I've never learned to program but really want to learn C and/or C++.I've
>
> looked all over the web for the documentation but all I can find is
> win32 crap.
>  Does anyone know of introductory level tutorials

Yes. The people on comp.lang.c++ and comp.lang.c++.moderated do. I suggest
you take your question there. But check out the FAQ first. I'm pretty sure
there are recommendations in there already.
Someone else mentioned Stroustrup's book. DO NOT buy this for learning
C++. It's a good book, but not for learning C++ from the ground up.
While I can't recommend a good book for learning C++ (I've never needed
any because I started with Turbo C++ under DOS and it shipped with
*excellent* documentation that was perfectly adequate for learning C++, or
rather what C++ was back then), I can recommend a book that is a real must
read (multiple times!) for C++ programmers of all skill levels (even
experts): "C++ FAQs" by Marshall Cline et al. You'll find endorsements for
this book in the online C++ FAQ because it's from the same author, but
despite the title (which is grossly misleading) it's *not* redundant. It's
a great book. If you buy only one book, buy this one.

>or docs that where
> written just for linux?

Read the GNU libc manual. Print it out or order a copy from the FSF (this
makes a donation at the same time) and read it. It covers everything you
need to program for a GNU system. For the Linux specific details, check
the manpages for the respective syscalls.
BTW, reading "info libc" is not a good idea. You'll save the printing,
sure, but tests discovered that people have a much harder time
understanding stuff when reading it on screen (but AFAIK no one really
knows why) than when reading it on paper. I can confirm this from personal
experience. If you have trouble understanding some on-line document, try
printing it out. It really helps.

If you want a book recommendation for a Unix system programming book, I
recommend "Unix Internals" by Uresh Vahalia. It doesn't include Linux,
though (at least not the edition I have) but all *nixes are alike somehow.
But beware: This is low level stuff. Nothing for beginners. And it's kind
of redundant. You'll find essentially the same information in the glibc
manual and the Linux manpages.

MSB

--
For sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org