Gnome 2 Menus

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Nov 6 15:58:53 PST 2002

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 20:19:18 +0000
Andy Campbell <usenet at starsend.force9.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to work out hot to add new entries
> to the Gnome2 menus from the command line.
>
> I script most of my LFS build so it is repeatable
> and would like to be able to script the adding
> of menu items for apps like Mozilla,Xmms etc.
>
> I assume it is possible as gnome-terminal etc
> manage it when they install.
>
> Can anyone point to basic instructions to this.
>
> On top of this it would be great if you could add
> panel etc from the command line?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help / pointers
>
> Andy

Gnome 2.1 has menu editing turned back on finally.  But for now you just
have to add a .desktop file to <gnome-prefix>/share/applilcations/.  If
gnome is running you need to do a killall gnome-panel to have the new
menu items to show up.  A basic .desktop for, say, mozilla looks
like this mozilla.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Mozilla
Comment=Mozilla Browser
Exec=mozilla
Icon=Web.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GNOME;Application;Network

The Categories= part determines where in the menu it shows up.  Look in
<gnome-prefix>/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users.vfolde
r-info for the menu structure and keywords.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL