Boot splash

Paul Sprakes paul at sprakes.co.uk
Wed Nov 6 12:55:11 PST 2002

I would like to recreate the type of boot splash screens as used by
mandrake/suse etc but can't figure out how to go about it. As far as I can
tell there are 3 ways to do it.

1. Patch the kernel with whatever the big distro's use. However the patches I
have found seem to be for older kernels.

2. Use Gimp + Plugin to create a new linux_logo.h file. But from what I can
tell the image has to be 80x80 which isn't going to fill my screen.

3. Use a kernel param to direct output to another tty and copy an image into
fbdev. I'm unsure what the syntax to do this is though.

Has anyone got any experience with this? What's the easiest way to get a boot
splash?

Thanks, Paul

BTW, I don't mean the graphical lilo screen - I mean after lilo when the
kernel is booting.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org