package management

luis jure luisjure at multitel.com.uy
Tue Nov 5 17:32:15 PST 2002

el Sun, 03 Nov 2002 17:44:18 -0500
"Ken Anderson" <mildseven at linuxmail.org> escribió:

> Second is the more interesting problem. I want to use rpm as my package
> manager. and so i downloaded rpm source and tried to compile it
> unsuccessfully.

<etc>

sorry for the delay, been busy building my lfs 4.0.... :-)
in my previous experiences with lfs i had never been able to build rpm
successfully and cleanly, in spite of the hints, which are for rpm 4.0
anyway.

this time everything went fine, thanks mainly to a message from jeff
johnson i found in the rpm-list. questions regarding rpm seem to be quite
frequent in this list, and i thought this could be of some interest to
others. so here's a teensy-weensy rpm 4.1 hint for lfs 4.0.

1) since building rpm had been problematic for me in the past, this time it
was one of the first things i tried to do after finishing lfs 4.0 strictly
by the book. i think i only had "which" installed from the blfs book (the
program, in my case, not the script). i guess that means this really
_should_ work in all cases.

2) the first configure stopped soon complaining about the mktemp command
not found. i couldn't find any reference to mktemp in lfs or blfs, so i
downloaded and installed it.

http://www.mktemp.org/mktemp/

after that the configure ran fine. all the rest is pure lfs 4.0

3) all you need is the tarball with the rpm sources; the latest is 4.1:

ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist/rpm-4.1.x/rpm-4.1.tar.gz

this package has its own versions of db and db3, so you don't need a
separate installation for those.

here is the sequence i followed:

tar xzf rpm-4.1.tar.gz

cd rpm-4.1/db/build_unix
../dist/configure --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-debug \
            --enable-rpc
make

cd rpm-4.1/db3
../db/dist/configure --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-debug \
            --enable-rpc --with-uniquename=_rpmdb --srcdir=$db_dist
make

cd rpm-4.1
./configure --without-python
make
make install

that's all. the --without-python is necessary since python is not included
in lfs. i guess that if you install it following blfs you could run a
simple ./configure with python as is the default.

i generally use rpm with checkinstall. there's a patch for it that i think
is necessary to use it with rpm-4.1, since some things changed from 4.0.x.
i applied it and checkinstall and rpm now work perfectly well together in
my lfs system.

i hope this was of some use.

best,

lj