libfam & libstdc++

Tushar T tush at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 5 07:06:37 PST 2002

Tim Holterhus wrote:

>I've been compiling the KDE snapshots recently (3.1 RC2 right now) and I
>get the following message in various places:
>
>/usr/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.4, needed by /usr/lib/libfam.so, may
>conflict with libstdc++.so.5
>
>It's not a show stopper, but I wonder wether I can do anything about
>this? Will it break fam if I just remove libstdc++.so.4?

Looks like you have upgraded from gcc-3.1 to gcc-3.2. The C++ packages
that were compiled with gcc-3.1 (e.g. fam) are linked agains
libstdc++.so.4. When compiling KDE with gcc-3.2, it tries to link
against libstdc++.so.5 and against libfam.so. Since both of these are
linked against different versions of the same libraries, kde ends up
being linked to both libsdtc++.so.(4,5}, which are not compatible with
each other and may cause problems further down. Hence the warning.

BTW, fam will definitely break if you remove libsdtc++.so.4.

I would suggest that you recompile all the packages that are linked
against libstdc++.so.4 with gcc-3.2. Then again it is a warning, so it
may not cause problems.

Usually when I upgrade any package, I do a diff on the install logs and
remove the left over files. Of course before removing, I verify if any
package is linked to a library I am removing and recompile that package.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org