CD writer (Was: Back Up Your Data - CD Burner Promotion)

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Nov 5 02:01:17 PST 2002

Ken Dyke wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 09:37, Csaba Henk wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Christian Lescuyer wrote:
> > # look what I found in yesterday's freshmeat newsletter. Linus
> > # himself patched cdrecord to make it work with ATAPI cdroms without
> > # the IDE-SCSI translation stuff. I have yet to check it out.
>
> They are changing the way the IDE block layer in conjunction with
> cd-rom/cdr works.  There are reports on the Linux Kernel mailing lists
> of folks successfully using an alpha version of cdrtools with ide
> protocol and the latest development kernel (2.5.45).  So, it will be
> something we will see in the 2.6.x series.  I do not know enough of
> the details to speculate as to whether it will get back ported to
> 2.4.x.

But then, it uses SCSI emulation for more than just CD writers - USB
storage devices (e.g my camera) appear as SCSI discs, and I think the
same applies to stuff like parallel-port zip disks and CD readers.

>From a config point of view, it'd be nice to have a pure SCSI system, so
I could drop IDE altogether. Unfortunately, hard drivers are much more
expensive, burners are more expensive and slower, and DVD drives are
non-existant as far as I know (not to mention the cost of a controller).

Simon.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org