CD writer (Was: Back Up Your Data - CD Burner Promotion)

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Mon Nov 4 16:08:04 PST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 16:16, Joe Morris wrote:
> My question is why is it necessary in the first place? You would think that
> enabling atapi cd support in the kernel would be enough. Why is the SCSI
> emulation necessary?

As I disclaim in my other post to this thread, I don't know the details
and have only picked up an impression in passing from reading lkml.
So, given that what I am about to say is probably wrong in specifics
(and lacks much in the way of) this may serve as a sufficient answer for
you curious mind.

The way IDE was implemented did not have required flexible packet size
for writing to a burner.  I think it had fixed 512k blocks.  The new
code eliminates this and allows DMA to the burner.  This results in much
faster recording than with ide-scsi.

I think there is a faq somewhere explaining all this but I don't know
where it is.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,