CD writer (Was: Back Up Your Data - CD Burner Promotion)

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Mon Nov 4 16:02:00 PST 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 23:15:37 +0000 (UTC)
heartboy at nycap.rr.com (Joe Morris) wrote:

> My question is why is it necessary in the first place? You would think
> that enabling atapi cd support in the kernel would be enough. Why is
> the SCSI emulation necessary?

If you want to know where the baggage is, in an ATAPI system, with a
CDRW, its the ide-cd (atapi) module.

think about it, what makes more sense to you

IDE (bus/adapter) module
ATAPI CD module
ATAPI zip module
ATAPI CDRW module
IDE HDD module
SCSI core
SCSI host adapter for my real xxx SCSI card
SCSI CD
SCSI CDRW
SCSI scanner

or

IDE (bus/adapter) module
IDE HDD module
SCSI core
SCSI CD
SCSI zip
SCSI CDRW
SCSI Scanner
ATAPI -> SCSI bridge (virtual SCSI on IDE host adapter)
SCSI host adapter for my real xxx SCSI card

The *only* time the ide-cd module makes sense is in a NON SCSI system
with no CDRW, where it reduces the size of the kernel slightly by using
a cut-down SCSI implementation.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org