CD writer (Was: Back Up Your Data - CD Burner Promotion)

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Mon Nov 4 09:30:31 PST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 09:37, Csaba Henk wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Christian Lescuyer wrote:
> # look what I found in yesterday's freshmeat newsletter. Linus himself
> # patched cdrecord to make it work with ATAPI cdroms without the IDE-SCSI
> # translation stuff. I have yet to check it out.

They are changing the way the IDE block layer in conjunction with
cd-rom/cdr works.  There are reports on the Linux Kernel mailing lists
of folks successfully using an alpha version of cdrtools with ide
protocol and the latest development kernel (2.5.45).  So, it will be
something we will see in the 2.6.x series.  I do not know enough of the
details to speculate as to whether it will get back ported to 2.4.x.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,