Sending mail without sendmail

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Sun Nov 3 16:10:20 PST 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 02:35, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 02:43:17PM -0600, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> >
> > One where someone has compilation problem with something from the BLFS
> > book.
>
> *SNIP*
>
> Actually, this is not quite correct.  BLFS-Support is designed for any questions that go beyond the core LFS book, not just for packages in the BLFS Book.

> blfs-support
> The blfs-support list deals with support requests for any software not installed in the LFS book. The list is not just for help with software explicitly mentioned in the BLFS book, any software beyond that installed as part of the base LFS system can be discussed here.
>
> His particular question has been asked here on numerous occasions, just not in the particular context it was in.  I think your flame to him was very uncalled for, and very unnecessary.

After you've spent a few years administrating large networks and dealing
with other system administrators who can't tell their backups from a
hole in the ground, your attitude will change.  I could really care less
what software he was asking about.  What rankles for me is that he was
asking about something he _certainly_ should have already known how to
do, because it was ridiculously simple (remember, you don't have to run
the _listening_ daemon to _send_ mail with sendmail) and because he was
basically asking to be handed a _solution to an implementation problem
at his office_.  But hey, if you want to help underskilled
administrators hide their gross ignorance so they can keep their jobs,
I'm not stopping you.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org