can't run Gnome as normal user

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Sun Nov 3 17:00:06 PST 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 22:23, Ron Keller wrote:
> I have built Gnome-1.4 on my lfs-cvs (Sept. 2002), along with
> Enlightenment-0.16.5.  I have no problem running it as root, but
> I can't run gnome as a normal user.  All I get is the initial
> splash screen and then nothing but a gray screen. Any help would
> be appreciated.  Thanks

More information about what exactly you did would be useful, as the book
currently doesn't include enough of _only_ 1.4 to be useful as a desktop
environment. (*)   If you were trying to reduce your system resource
usage by compiling "only" Gnome 1.4 instead of Gnome 2.0.2, you have
err'd.  Gnome 2.0.x actually uses _less_ resources than Gnome 1.4 by a
pretty spacious margin.

(* Of course, if your answer is that you merely skipped building
anything relating to Gnome 2, then my response as to why it's not doing
much is "duh...".  ;)  )
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org