Can only access net with ping

David C david at desolateonline.com
Sun Nov 3 17:50:40 PST 2002

I have installed Lynx and am getting an error about being unable to
connect to host. From the console I can ping internet IP's such as my
ISP's DNS, but pinging www.yahoo.com gives an unknown host error.

I know this is some sort of configuration error on my part, but I can't
seem to figure out where. I've compared files between my RH host and
LFS but that's didn't help.

My setup is ADSL -> NAT router -> HUB -> my computer.

The router's IP is 192.168.1.1, and my computer is 192.168.1.71.

My RH host accesses the net perfectly. Any ideas?

Here is my $LFS/etc/hosts file:

# Begin /etc/hosts (network card version)

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.71 snoopy.guardiansofthegrail.org snoopy

# End /etc/hosts (network card version)

And here is etc/sysconfig/network:

HOSTNAME=snoopy
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
GATEWAY_IF=eth0

What am I missing?

By the way, guardiansofthegrail.org is just an old domain I still own
and was using to experiment with getting a mail server running on my
router/firewall. Perhaps that's causing some sort of problem, though as
I said my RH 8.0 host works fine.

The router/firewall is a Linux box running ClarkConnect:

www.clarkconnect.org

This is an incredible distro I would highly reccommend to anyone.

--
David C.
Linux user #277013

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org