USB mouse under X

Matt Rogers mattrogers at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 3 16:36:24 PST 2002

On Sunday 03 November 2002 06:27 pm, David C wrote:
> On Sunday 03 November 2002 04:48 pm, you wrote:
> > > Just finished setting up the mouse using USB.  The only difference
> > > that i can see with what I did and what you did is that i didn't
> > > compile any of the USB options.  I've had various problems with
> > > modules in the past and consider it safer to just compile it into
> > > the kernel, especially if it's something that's going get as
> > > heavily used as USB is.
> >
> > hmmm, helps if i proofread my posts better before sending them. :)
> > the line about compiling the USB options should say that i didn't
> > compile any of the USB options as modules.
>
> Ok, problem solved, with one catch. I recompiled a fresh 2.4.19 kernel
> with the options you specified in Steven Simpson's other thread.
> Furthermore, the only kernel option I have set as a module is my NIC
> driver. Everything else is compiled in.
>
> My mouse now seems to work fine both under GPM in the console and in X.
>
> The catch is, while booting I now get an error from Mount, stating that
> /proc/bus/usb can not be found, followed by the standard "You should
> not be reading this" message. I've attached my .config and you can see
> that /proc filesystem support is indeed enabled. Any ideas what could
> be causing this?
>
> The only thing that sticks out to me is the line:
>
> # CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS is not set
>
> Which is the second line below "CONFIG_USB=y" in the .config. Could this
> be it? If so, which kernel option does that relate to?
>
> Thanks so very much with your help in getting my mouse to work so far. I
> hate to keep troubling you, but if you or anyone else has any insight
> into this error, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks again,

Yes. If that line is in the .config file is set to yes, then the USB device
filesystem that resides in /proc/bus/usb is enabled. That line needs to be
yes in order for mount to find /proc/bus/usb.  you should find a line in
/etc/fstab that looks like this:

usbdevfs      /proc/bus/usb          usbdevfs   defaults    0 0

you should be able to remove this line and get rid of the error in mount since
you didn't compile the USB device filesystem in. Or you could go back and set
that line to yes (I think it's the option for the the preliminary USB device
file system), recompile the kernel, and mount won't throw that error anymore.

Glad you got it working.

Matt
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org