USB mouse under X

David C david at desolateonline.com
Sun Nov 3 16:27:32 PST 2002

On Sunday 03 November 2002 04:48 pm, you wrote:

> > Just finished setting up the mouse using USB.  The only difference
> > that i can see with what I did and what you did is that i didn't
> > compile any of the USB options.  I've had various problems with
> > modules in the past and consider it safer to just compile it into
> > the kernel, especially if it's something that's going get as
> > heavily used as USB is.
>
> hmmm, helps if i proofread my posts better before sending them. :)
> the line about compiling the USB options should say that i didn't
> compile any of the USB options as modules.

Ok, problem solved, with one catch. I recompiled a fresh 2.4.19 kernel
with the options you specified in Steven Simpson's other thread.
Furthermore, the only kernel option I have set as a module is my NIC
driver. Everything else is compiled in.

My mouse now seems to work fine both under GPM in the console and in X.

The catch is, while booting I now get an error from Mount, stating that
/proc/bus/usb can not be found, followed by the standard "You should
not be reading this" message. I've attached my .config and you can see
that /proc filesystem support is indeed enabled. Any ideas what could
be causing this?

The only thing that sticks out to me is the line:

# CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS is not set

Which is the second line below "CONFIG_USB=y" in the .config. Could this
be it? If so, which kernel option does that relate to?

Thanks so very much with your help in getting my mouse to work so far. I
hate to keep troubling you, but if you or anyone else has any insight
into this error, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again,

--
David C.
Linux user #277013