USB mouse under X

Matt Rogers mattrogers at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 3 14:44:32 PST 2002

On Sunday 03 November 2002 04:08 pm, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Sunday 03 November 2002 03:19 pm, David C wrote:
> > On Sunday 03 November 2002 10:14 am, you wrote:
> > > I would try changing the protocol setting to "Auto" or "usb" and see
> > > if one of those fixes your problem.  Also check out
> > > http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/mouse.html for some more info on mice
> > > with X.
> > >
> > > Matt
> >
> > Actually I mis-titled this post. My mouse doesn't work under the console
> > via GPM either, not just X. Basically all I can get the mouse to do is
> > give the kernel message when you plug it in (the one that means it was
> > recognized). As for moving the pointer or buttons working, nada.
>
> I got that from the post, but if the kernel recognizes the USB mouse, it
> (theoretically) shouldn't be a problem with the kernel.  I'm not sure how
> GPM does their mouse detection, but I would definately try messing with the
> XF86Config-4 file before "upgrading" to the 2.4.18 kernel. GPM shouldn't be
> required for running the mouse under X.  I'm running a 2.4.19 kernel and
> have no problems with USB at all. I don't have the mouse set up with USB
> right now, but i think that's something i'll try.
>
> Matt

Just finished setting up the mouse using USB.  The only difference that i can
see with what I did and what you did is that i didn't compile any of the USB
options.  I've had various problems with modules in the past and consider it
safer to just compile it into the kernel, especially if it's something that's
going get as heavily used as USB is.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org