USB problems with 2.4.19 kernel please help

Matt Rogers mattrogers at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 3 14:40:43 PST 2002

On Sunday 03 November 2002 01:37 pm, Steven Stimpson wrote:
> Hello and thank you for reading this. My USB keyboard and mouse works fine
> with kernel 2.4.18 using the following parameters.
>
> input core support
> mouse support compiled in
> keyboard support compiled in
>  under USB support I have UHCI alternate driver compiled in
> it says UHCI alternate driver JE support
>
> Under USB human interface devices I have USB human interface device
> compiled in
>
> I have a node as /dev/input/mice c 13 63
> My mouse works fine under X
> when i try to use these exact same settings using the 2.4.19 kernel
> supplied with the newer LFS releases everything is dead. when i get to the
> login prompt I can't type anything.
>
> Any Ideas on what they may have changed between the two releases? also
> where can I get a more updated kernel? I know a lot of you people use
> kernels that are something like 2.4.19-3 that are more recent. where can I
> find these? My only resource is www.kernel.org and they only supply the
> original release IE no -2 or -3 releases.
>
> thank you for any info you may have.
> Steven

I just finished setting up my USB Mouse with kernel 2.4.19 (the official one
from kernel.org). I have Input Core Support enabled, so that i have the HID
compiled in.  So under the Input Core support, make sure that everything is
set to "Y". You need input core support for the USB HID input layer.

Under  the USB Support section, make sure that you enable USB support by
saying "Y".  Also set the following options to "Y":
	USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
 	HID input layer support
	/dev/hiddev raw HID device support

after you reboot with the new 2.4.19 kernel, you should be able to test your
mouse by starting gpm (kill it first, if necessary) with the following
	gpm -m /dev/input/mice -t imps2

If it works, you should be able to move the mouse and get the nice little
block mouse cursor.  If your mouse works in the console. It should work with
X w/o modifying your config cause you had it working before.

Hope this helps,
Matt
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org