USB mouse under X

Matt Rogers mattrogers at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 3 14:08:19 PST 2002

On Sunday 03 November 2002 03:19 pm, David C wrote:
> On Sunday 03 November 2002 10:14 am, you wrote:
> > I would try changing the protocol setting to "Auto" or "usb" and see
> > if one of those fixes your problem.  Also check out
> > http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/mouse.html for some more info on mice
> > with X.
> >
> > Matt
>
> Actually I mis-titled this post. My mouse doesn't work under the console
> via GPM either, not just X. Basically all I can get the mouse to do is
> give the kernel message when you plug it in (the one that means it was
> recognized). As for moving the pointer or buttons working, nada.

I got that from the post, but if the kernel recognizes the USB mouse, it
(theoretically) shouldn't be a problem with the kernel.  I'm not sure how GPM
does their mouse detection, but I would definately try messing with the
XF86Config-4 file before "upgrading" to the 2.4.18 kernel. GPM shouldn't be
required for running the mouse under X.  I'm running a 2.4.19 kernel and have
no problems with USB at all. I don't have the mouse set up with USB right
now, but i think that's something i'll try.

Matt

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org