graphics acceleration

Jochen Schröder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Sun Nov 3 13:48:49 PST 2002

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> James Drabb wrote:
>
>> -O3 can considerably slow down the X server.  I never change the opts
>> for X since the X developers set good defaults for stability and
>> speed. I think they would know the best way to optimize code then
>> anyone else.
>> To give you an idea of how glxgears should run, I am using LFS 4.0 on a
>> P III 800 w/640 Mb and a Geforce 3 Ti 500.  With glxgears I get 3,200+
>> fps.
>>

> Jim,
>  I think the resolution can change the benchmark considerably.  Try
> making glxgears full screen or very small.  My screen is 1600x1200 and
> the default gives me 2400 FPS.  I can reduce the window and get over
> 6000 FPS or make it full screen and get 184 FPS.  Note that the
> eye/brain can't see more than about 24-30 FPS.
>  -- Bruce

well mine is done at 1280x1024 at default size of the window. My
computer is a athlon-xp 1800+ w/512MB and a GeForce3 Ti 200. I guess the
optimizations when compiling X made the difference. Next time I just use
the defaults, or might even do some benchmarking(if I have lot's of time
;-) ). Have to install some other things first though (image magick,
opendx). Just finished installing teTeX, ghostscript and gv (phuh!).
Cheers
Jochen

--
[X] Nail here for new monitor