graphics acceleration

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun Nov 3 13:36:35 PST 2002

James Drabb wrote:

>-O3 can considerably slow down the X server.  I never change the opts
>for X since the X developers set good defaults for stability and speed.
>I think they would know the best way to optimize code then anyone else.
>To give you an idea of how glxgears should run, I am using LFS 4.0 on a
>P III 800 w/640 Mb and a Geforce 3 Ti 500.  With glxgears I get 3,200+
>fps.

Jim,
  I think the resolution can change the benchmark considerably.  Try
making glxgears full screen or very small.  My screen is 1600x1200 and
the default gives me 2400 FPS.  I can reduce the window and get over
6000 FPS or make it full screen and get 184 FPS.  Note that the
eye/brain can't see more than about 24-30 FPS.
  -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org