USB mouse under X

David C david at desolateonline.com
Sun Nov 3 13:29:52 PST 2002

On Sunday 03 November 2002 12:38 pm, you wrote:

> I use a USB Keyboard and a USB Mouse under LFS But I have to use the
> 2.4.18 kernel. when I use the exact same settings to setup my USB
> devices under the 2.4.19 kernel everything is dead and I don't know
> why. Maybe you could quickly try a 2.4.18 kernel if it wouldn't be
> too much of a bother?

Sure, I'm always up for a bit of experimentation. Hmm, my RH 8.0 host
uses 2.4.18-17.8.0. I wonder what would happen if I used it to boot my
LFS system? Should be interesting. Probably won't work at all, but
let's see. Either way I'll download a 2.4.18 kernel as well and compile
it and see what happens. Hmmm, I further wonder if make oldconfig could
be used to "upgrade" to an older kernel? I'll just stick a copy in the
source tree and load it that way though. Hopefully the older kernel
will just ignore any unknown options from the 2.4.19 kernel.

By the way, my RH 8.0 host using that 2.4.18-17.8.0 kernel works
flawlessly, USB mouse and all.

I'm sure someone here has a USB mouse running under 2.4.19. Care to
share your experiences? I could just stick the adapter on and use it as
a ps/2 mouse, but that isn't very "Linux like", and I just don't want
to anyway.

I'll post back in a little while, assuming my experiments don't blow the
whole thing up, lol.

--
David C.
Linux user #277013