graphics acceleration

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Nov 3 13:25:26 PST 2002

On Sun, 03 Nov 2002 18:13:11 +0100
Jochen Schröder <jschrod at uni-muenster.de> wrote:

> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > Jochen Schröder wrote:
> >
> >> Hi guys,
> >> I just noticed something odd. I ran glxgears on my host (SuSE 8.0)
> >and > my lfs (cvs from end of september) system and on my host it
> >runs with > ~3000 FPS on my lfs it runs with ~1880 FPS. I'm using the
> >Nvidia > Driver on both systems, the one on the lfs is a newer
> >version. Could > there be other reasons for the difference than the
> >different drivers? > Usually I'd
> >> expect the newer driver to be faster.
> >> Any ideas anybody?
> >

> > The only thing I can think of is optimizations in the drivers or X
> > itself.
> >  -- Bruce
> >
> I thought of this as well, must be X then, optimization wont have much
>
> effect on the nvidia driver considering that the module is binary, I
> guess. Maybe I'm going to compile X with less optimization next time,
> I used '-O3 -march=athlon-xp -msse -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointers'
>
> maybe the O3 is actually slowing the X-server down.
> Cheers
> Jochen
>
> --
> [X] Nail here for new monitor
>
> --
> message

-O3 can considerably slow down the X server.  I never change the opts
for X since the X developers set good defaults for stability and speed.
I think they would know the best way to optimize code then anyone else.
To give you an idea of how glxgears should run, I am using LFS 4.0 on a
P III 800 w/640 Mb and a Geforce 3 Ti 500.  With glxgears I get 3,200+
fps.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst