struggling along the serial port trail

Alan Womack arwbackup at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 3 10:25:57 PST 2002

 >>  There are a few gotchas here: Serial talk is possible with
 >>  2 -->3
 >>  3 -->2
 >>  5-->5 on 9 pin com plugs. However there are other lines on 6 & 9
 >>  particularly, which are used for more advanced control. It's probably
 >>  waiting
 >>  for a toggle on one of these.

I have a null modem serial cable I made up:

2 -- 3
3 -- 2
4 -- 6 + 1
5 -- 5
6 + 1 -- 4
7 -- 8
8 -- 7

I have tested this cable between COM1 and COM2 on a windows workstation, works great.  Between /dev/ttyS00 and COM1 from the lfs 3.3 box to the windows workstation.  That works great.  /dev/ttyS00 is on the motherboard.

/dev/ttyS01 does some some activity, but it is all ^@ which if IIRC, is a null 00 character, and is shown that way from od -v /dev/ttyS01

 >>  Use setserial  to set 115200 baud and no_flow_control. Try then

I do not see the option to turn off flow control with setserial

I used:
setserial /dev/ttyS04 baud_base 9600 irq 15 port 0x03E8 ^fourport ^skip_test
setserial /dev/ttyS03 baud_base 9600 irq 15 port 0x02F8 ^fourport ^skip_test
setserial /dev/ttyS02 baud_base 9600 irq 15 port 0x02E8 ^fourport ^skip_test
setserial /dev/ttyS01 baud_base 9600 irq 3 port 0x02A8 ^fourport ^skip_test
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org