graphics acceleration

Jochen Schröder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Sun Nov 3 09:13:11 PST 2002

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Jochen Schröder wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>> I just noticed something odd. I ran glxgears on my host (SuSE 8.0) and
>> my lfs (cvs from end of september) system and on my host it runs with
>> ~3000 FPS on my lfs it runs with ~1880 FPS. I'm using the Nvidia
>> Driver on both systems, the one on the lfs is a newer version. Could
>> there be other reasons for the difference than the different drivers?
>> Usually I'd
>> expect the newer driver to be faster.
>> Any ideas anybody?
>

> The only thing I can think of is optimizations in the drivers or X itself.
>  -- Bruce

I thought of this as well, must be X then, optimization wont have much
effect on the nvidia driver considering that the module is binary, I
guess. Maybe I'm going to compile X with less optimization next time, I
used '-O3 -march=athlon-xp -msse -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointers'
maybe the O3 is actually slowing the X-server down.
Cheers
Jochen

--
[X] Nail here for new monitor