emacs & auto-save files

billyoc at quasar.highos.com billyoc at quasar.highos.com
Sat Nov 2 17:59:58 PST 2002

adam boz <adam_boz at phreaker.net> writes:

> Is there a way to make emacs put all those auto-save~ files in a
> certain directory, instead of leaving them all around my system?

Use <M-x>customize and got to Files->Backup->Backup Directory Alist.

Leave the Regexp matching filename: field blank, and pick a dir for
the backups.  the resulting entry in your .emacs file should look
something like this:

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(backup-directory-alist (quote (("" . "~/back"))))
 '(smtpmail-smtp-server "dps10.oconnoronline.net"))

Billy
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org