error compiling X

David C david at desolateonline.com
Sat Nov 2 15:58:38 PST 2002

On Saturday 02 November 2002 05:55 pm, you wrote:

> > How about if I just install bison-1.35 from the LFS 4.0 book
> > instead? Will this work?
> >
> > One thing I don't understand. Are those missing and extra ";"
> > characters in those files really errors or are they correct? Here
> > is one of them from my earlier post if you no longer have it:
> >
> > *****
> > In the file xc/lib/Xft/xftgram.y lines 161 - 172 are as follows:
> >
> > matrix  :   OS number number number number CS
> >                 {
> >                     matrix.xx = $2;
> >                     matrix.xy = $3;
> >                     matrix.yx = $4;
> >                     matrix.__REALLY_YY__ = $5;
> >                 }
> > number  :   INTEGER
> >                 { $$ = (double) $1; }
> >
> >                 |   DOUBLE
> >
> >                 ;
> >
> > I believe they should really be:
> >
> > matrix  :   OS number number number number CS
> >                 {
> >                     matrix.xx = $2;
> >                     matrix.xy = $3;
> >                     matrix.yx = $4;
> >                     matrix.__REALLY_YY__ = $5;
> >                 }
> >                 ;
> > number  :   INTEGER
> >                 { $$ = (double) $1; }
> >
> >                 |   DOUBLE
> >
> >                 ;
> >
> > Note the ending ";" for the matrix section.
> > *****
> >
> > If the first version is in fact correct, then you must be correct
> > and bison or something is the problem.
> >
> > --
> > David C.
> > Linux user #277013
> > david at desolateonline dot com
> >

> > --
> > message
>
> I used bison from the LFS 4.0 book and all is well.  I am not sure
> of the bison syntax since I never used bison.  However don't confuse
> it with C.
>
> Jim Drabb

Thanks for the tip. I actually didn't think it looked much like C, but
still it didn't look right anyway.

However, I deleted /usr/bin/bison and installed bison-1.35 as per the
LFS 4.0 book. I had to download it straight from gnu.org. Note that
there is also a 1.50 version, but I decided to stick with what 4.0
uses.

After compiling and installing bison-1.35, X now seems to compile just
fine, with no changes made other than the 4.2.1 patch and adding the
host.def file of course.

I've set up the symlinks as per the X hint mentioned, and am now ready
to run make install, however the hint suggests running ldconfig first
just to be safe. Is it safe to run this from within a chroot
environment, or should I boot into LFS first? I'm actually going to
boot into LFS first anyway, and run ldconfig and make install from
there, but I'd still like to know if ldconfig can safely be used from
chroot.

Thanks for your help. I should know in a few minutes if downgrading to
bison-1.35 did the trick or not..
/em crosses fingers

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org