error compiling X

David C david at desolateonline.com
Sat Nov 2 14:14:52 PST 2002

On Saturday 02 November 2002 04:13 pm, you wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 03:39:33PM -0600, David C wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 November 2002 03:30 pm, you wrote:
> > > Are you using bison-1.75? If so, check the archives for a patch.
> >
> > Yes, I am using bison-1.75, the version installed as per the LFS
> > CVS book. I attempted to search he archives for a bison-1.75 patch
> > but just keep getting the main server offline error. What sort of
> > patch is it? Why doesn't the book mention it if 1.75 is faulty?
> >
> > Hmm, now I'm really stuck. I don't wish to start all over and
> > create a new LFS if it's going to have the same problem anyway....
> >
> > This is gonna be one of those days, I just know it... :'(
> >
> > --
> > David C.
> > Linux user #277013
> > david at desolateonline dot com
>
> Well it looks like you just need to re-install bison : )
> I don't know where the patch is, but maybe someone on the list
> has it and can send it to you.
>
> Jim Drabb
How about if I just install bison-1.35 from the LFS 4.0 book instead?
Will this work?

One thing I don't understand. Are those missing and extra ";" characters
in those files really errors or are they correct? Here is one of them
from my earlier post if you no longer have it:

*****
In the file xc/lib/Xft/xftgram.y lines 161 - 172 are as follows:

matrix  :   OS number number number number CS
                {
                    matrix.xx = $2;
                    matrix.xy = $3;
                    matrix.yx = $4;
                    matrix.__REALLY_YY__ = $5;
                }
number  :   INTEGER
                { $$ = (double) $1; }
                |   DOUBLE
                ;

I believe they should really be:

matrix  :   OS number number number number CS
                {
                    matrix.xx = $2;
                    matrix.xy = $3;
                    matrix.yx = $4;
                    matrix.__REALLY_YY__ = $5;
                }
                ;
number  :   INTEGER
                { $$ = (double) $1; }
                |   DOUBLE
                ;

Note the ending ";" for the matrix section.
*****

If the first version is in fact correct, then you must be correct and
bison or something is the problem.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org